Cannabis-Derived Terpenes

Terpenes have gained mainstream popularity in the cannabis industry, as more people have learned about their important role in attracting each of us to our favourite cannabis varieties. The art of perfecting formulations using the terpene trifecta (flavour, fragrance and therapy) is what creates best-selling cannabis products, such as vapes, edibles, topicals and more.


Cannabis cultivators highly seek after terpenes because of this. However, due to the high cost of pulling terpenes directly from cannabis, “cannabis-derived” terpenes are specifically in high demand and low supply. 


It’s important to note that although cannabis is a plant, and therefore botanical, the industry collectively refers to non-cannabis derived terpenes as botanical terpenes. Both botanical and cannabis-derived terpenes serve unique and equally important roles in cultivation.


Clarifying Misconceptions


Contrary to rumours spread by self-proclaimed aficionados, neither source is “better” than the other. They both serve their purpose, and their functions vary greatly. While there are benefits to using cannabis-derived terpenes, they aren’t any more effective than using plant-derived (botanical) terpenes. It simply comes down to a decision based on what the users’s formulation goal is.


Once isolated, there is essentially no difference between terpenes pulled from cannabis compared with those pulled from other plants. Arguably, other than synthetics, a molecule is a molecule. The decision of which type of terpenes to use should ultimately be based on the desired results and the user’s preference. There are legitimate reasons for selecting both, as we outline below.


Cannabis-Derived Terpenes


Cannabis-derived terpenes are ideal for flavouring products intended to smell and taste like the plant in its natural form. Cannabis terpenes keep your formulas 100% derived from the cannabis plant.


On average, only 30% of the cannabis plant’s total essential oil is actually made up of terpenes. The rest of the oil is composed of many other subcomponents that contribute to its unique aroma. The other 70% is what creates that famous skunk-like cannabis aroma. This is usually what growers and formulators aspire to attain when seeking cannabis terpenes.


Botanical-Derived Terpenes 


While cannabis contains many distinct terpene profiles, other plants are also known to hold concentrated amounts of specific terpenes. Botanical terpenes are synthesized in a lab to mimic the molecular structure of terpenes found in cannabis. By using these nature-identical terpenes, cannabis cultivars can achieve the desired effects of their products, while also gaining access to a larger supply of terpenes. Ultimately, this provides a much more cost-effective, consistent and safe option for cannabis growers.


Botanical terpenes can catalyze the entourage effect and potentiate cannabinoids to work better in the body after consumption. This is the idea that the combined effects of cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds in cannabis can be more beneficial than the effects of any one compound alone.


Botanical Terpenes in Vapes


Majority of vape cartridges on the market today contain botanical extracts such as terpenes, flavonoids, and essential oils. These extracts are used to emulate various aromatic compounds and flavour profiles without adding any additional psychoactive components. The most common active ingredients in these cartridges are derived from hemp plants, including CBD, CBG and CBN.


Weed Me carries a catalogue of several 510 threaded vape cartridges in a 1 gram and 1.2 gram format. The botanical terpenes used in these vapes allow for a consistent formula, each with their own strain specific terpene profile. Weed Me runs analytics on various cannabis genetics, which allows to profile match the exact terpene spectrum of a particular strain. Popular strains include Wedding Cake, Powdered Donuts and Lemon Z. Explore these and many other options to experience the benefits of botanical terpenes in cannabis.